Sunday, March 29, 2015

Christchurch Pettys in February 2015

Seth Petty exploring the world
I realise we have been the sole contributors for a month or so. Does anyone ever read this?

The first Sunday was Starve and Tell (more commonly known as Fast and Testimony meeting). My friend Gina got up and said that rather than knowing anything, she chooses to believe in God and various other things. She was followed by a Republican Senior Missionary who said that he KNEW that that church was true. It was a little awkward really, so I got up and said that President Uchtdorf tells us that there is a place for all of us in the church, and we can all be members, with different levels and styles of faith. The bishop thanked me later for a good save. There was a sister there who Dylan baptised on his mission, who had been coming only once a month, but decided to come regularly now. Her husband is a hardliner, so it was good for her to feel that a more nuanced faith is also acceptable.

It has been a long hot summer in Canterbury and everything is dry and brown. I love autumn and the changing colours and the crisp mornings. I look forward to cosy warm nights with the woodburner, and hot nourishing soups.

Jimmy, Thuy Van & daughter Kim
We were invited to Thuy Van and Jimmy’s 5th wedding anniversary party. Thuy Van wore her wedding dress and looked amazing as ever, and they had their dear little daughter with them. We went to a new Vietnamese restaurant, pretty late in the evening, as many of their friends also have restaurants. The food was marvellous.

I went to the World Cricket Cup opening, and Jonathan and Mark joined me for the opening concert and fireworks. Parts were good, but it was mainly tedious. The thing I liked best was the party beforehand, with four different areas with music and dancing. The Indian dancing was fantastic and the Irish dancing involved high precision and speed with outrageous wigs and dresses.

I finally submitted my profile for Ordain Women. I have been a supporter from the start, but needed to wait until I was released as Stake RSP before I could submit a profile. And it took me a while to work out exactly what I wanted to say. Most of the members of my ward are very supportive, including the bishop at the time and our new bishop. Other people have found it more shocking. I would have, a few years ago. I’m happy that it has got people thinking and talking, though I could do without the hate blog from a site dedicated to bringing down Ordain Women.

Jonathan and Tony Cooper, his best friend in the Ward right now.
Mark and I stayed overnight to mind Seth while Jessica and William had a night away at Hanmer. It all went very well, and I enjoyed watching “Last Tango in Halifax” on Netflix. Seth is a dear little boy who is very keen on running around outside. When his parents came home, he barely acknowledged them!








I gave a talk in sacrament meeting about Jesus and riches. I had chosen the topic myself. It bothers me that we worry so much about a lot of things that Jesus didn’t worry about, and have a confused attitude towards riches. This is one of my favourite cartoons, first published in the Salt Lake Tribune:



In February I travelled to Wellington, and then the next day flew to Rotorua and stayed the night in the centre of the known universe, thanks to Ray’s hospitality. Rosemary was down in Nelson at the time.

The next morning I went for a walk in Putaruru and then headed off to Tauranga. I gave a presentation in Katikati, and another one at Tauranga Girls’ High. Then I caught the plane home again, via Auckland and the Koru lounge.

Nicola with a couple of Sunbeams;
Toa Cooper with his haka face and Kaikau Langi

We had a ward activity where Jonathan and I ran a musical game, that went very well. It is great that he gets this social support. They then had “It’s in the Bag”, and Jonathan happened to be the first contestant. He took the lollies at 30 lollies. The whole thing was really well done. It was our turn to clean the chapel afterwards, and as it was the start of March that involved cleaning gum off the rec hall floor. I think I took about 20 pieces off, and I’d done it only 6 months ago. (I suspect no one else does the hall, but I hope I’m wrong.)


William has started at CPIT, studying computer programming, and Jonathan is back at CPIT studying popular music. He has the same piano teacher, who is great, and his helper, Charlotte, who is an angel sent from God.

And that was us for February.

Nicola, Mark and Jonathan

A piece of carrot cake at the Dunsandel Cafe with
an insane amount of icing!




1 comment:

Willis said...

Nicola,
I read your postings on this blog (and Facebook). I hope that doesn't make me a stalker.

I like to get reminders of the Kiwi life.